Search
  • Big Leap

Common Molds in Utah Homes and What to Do About Them


Some people think that, because Utah has such a dry climate, that they are not at risk for mold problems in their home. These people couldn’t be more wrong. Just because it is cold and dry outside doesn’t mean your warm, moist warm isn’t harboring a breeding ground for toxic spores. The following are common molds in Utah homes and what to do to prevent them.


Aspergillus


Aspergillus looks sort of like your classic mold that you might find on a rotting piece of food: It tends to be white and green colored with a cotton-like appearance. It is commonly found within Utah homes. Fortunately aspergillus is not toxic to humans; however, that doesn’t mean that aspergillus is harmless. For those with a weakened immune system or asthma, this mold can cause allergies and infections. You can often remove this mold yourself using a disinfecting product, like a diluted bleach solution.


Stachybotrys


Also commonly known as the deadly “black mold,” stachybotrys is a toxic mold found in some Utah molds. Stachybotrys tends to be dark in color, usually black, and often appears slimy. If not dealt with, stachybotrys can cause damage to your internal organs, inflammation, impairment, and even hemorrhaging. Now, just because you may be seeing a black-colored mold growing on your home doesn’t necessarily mean it is stachybotrys or even a toxic mold; however, given the toxicity of stachybotrys, you will definitely want to consult with a mold inspection and testing expert to get testing and help.


Cladosporium


This is a perfect example of a non-toxic mold that can come in black. Cladosporium can also appear as dark green or brown spots. Similar to aspergillus, Cladosporium isn’t toxic but can be a nuisance for those with high sensitivity, asthma, allergies, or a weakened immune system. However, given that it is difficult to distinguish Cladosporium from Stachybotrys, you will want to consult with your local mold inspector to ensure that it is only Cladosporium and not the dreaded “black mold” mentioned above. To prevent this mold from growing, be sure to keep air flowing and the humidity low, especially in high-risk areas like the bathroom or on windows.


Most molds found within Utah homes are just nuisances. Nevertheless, some can be quite dangerous and toxic. If you are ever in doubt about what is growing in your home, be sure to contact a mold inspection and testing expert. They can help you detect what mold issues you have and how to properly eliminate them.


Concerned about mold growth in your home? Click here to reserve your next appointment with a highly-skilled, mold specialist!


3 views0 comments